Feren (feren) wrote,

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Bad day today.

I stayed home from work. I got up this morning again after another night of interrupted sleep, tossing, turning and aching. My stomach was doing summersaults and pole vaults. My head hurt for no good reason at all -- I don't mind hangovers when I deserve them, but mini-migraines Just Because are not acceptable. I don't think my bed is to blame for this... it's no better or worse than it's been for the last three years. I've been wanting to replace it but have been holding off for various reasons that I won't go into here.

So when the alarm went off this morning I was in no shape to get up. After an hour of listening to it go off I pried myself out of bed, staggered into the living room and sat down to e-mail the folks at the office to let them know I wasn't coming in. My PC is at the main login prompt -- odd, but nothing too out of the ordinary... until it logs me in as if it's a brand-new session. Okay, now it's out of the ordinary. I guess we took a series of nasty power hits this morning around 5 or 5:30. Goody, I'd left the database server on, too, meaning that it probably took a beating too. Oh well, I'll worry about that later. Open IE, try to get to the Outlook Web Access server. DNS error. The fuck-? Ping the IP. No good. Amazing... I can't reach panther, so no DNS for me. Power outage must have fucked the PC. I go over to the DB server, and that can't reach panther either. Damn, the firewall must have toasted itself... but wait, the firewall is on the same UPS as panther, so that shouldn't be. I'm still groggy, so I try a few pings, discover I can't reach any of the machines on the DMZ. Dammit, now I'm pissed. I stumble back into my bedroom and squint myopically at the switch that services the DMZ. Sure enough, it's flashing some odd code at me and that's it -- no link, no activity, nothing. Fucking thing! Unplug it, let it sit for ten seconds and think about what it's done, plug it back in. Whammo, it boots up and starts moving ethernet packets around. Good, good!

At this point I shambled back into the living room, wrote my e-mail to the folks at the office letting them know I'd be out (taking mental bets that the Helpdesk would assign me tickets) and go back to bed. Twenty minutes of tossing and turning ensues. Finally I fall asleep, and wake up again at around noon. I get out of bed, walk to the kitchen and take a pair of Alleve to try and put this headache down. I'm lightheaded and still a little woozy so I eat some pizza and try to make sense of my day.

That was the high point of my day. Additionally, during the rest of it I did some more coding on the art show database since I had nothing else to do. Watched a little TV and moved a load of dishes out of the dishwasher and put a fresh load in. I am mister productivity. Fear me.

I still feel miserable physically as well as mentally. I'm not sure what's going on here, but it's getting old. I suspect my friends and coworkers are getting tired of it as well. Feh. Watch me angst like a fifteen year old gothboy!

I need a vacation from my life.

She never knew me at all

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.