Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile Feren's dART gallery Previous Previous Next Next
Paint It Black
Living the American dream one heartbreaking piece at a time
Goddamn doctors.
So it snowed and rained and generally was stupid, weather-wise last night, starting at around 2300. I got up this morning and made it to the hospital in reasonable time. In fact, I got there act exactly 0855, the requested twenty minutes before my MRI was scheduled.

Fuckery ensues.

So an hour and change (as well as about two dozen phone calls by the Imaging nurse/receptionist) later, my results for the ocular orbit X-ray are found (doctor's impression: clean of ferrous metal), I've filled out the paperwork (yes, I have an orthodontic element in my jaw, no I don't have a pacemaker, no I'm not pregnant...) and most importantly they've located the scrip for the MRI itself. And determined that I don't need an RQI or ... some damn acronym related to a referral number that was related to my insurance. Once all that was settled I was whisked off to the changing room, stripped of everything that might kill me or damage the machine and then whisked down a different hall to the MRI itself. While the tech got me situated I bantered with her a bit, and when I started talking about the helium cooling system I think I surprised her. She surprised me back by sharing a discussion she had with a GE engineer about the new water-cooling models they're going to be introducing, as well as a 9 Tesla model they're experimenting with at the U of I. Pretty cool, though as I understand it the tunnel's only big enough to shoot images of rodents. We won't be seeing people in that any time soon...

I can see why traditional MRIs could freak some people out. Lots of different noises that were quite loud, even with the earplugs I was given by the technologist. If somebody were claustrophobic the tight space of the tunnel could be very disconcerting. You've no sense of time in there, which didn't bother me (I just counted through the seconds for each imaging shot) but it could make some people twitchy. The hardest part for me, really, was just the sheer act of concentrating on not moving while the studies were being taken. That's when you get paranoid with thoughts of Shit, I have to swallow. Did I move when I swallowed? Oh, I have to s wallow again already! ARGH! That, or your nose itches and you know you can't do anything about it. Mostly I just kept my breathing shallow and sorta half-napped throughout the experience. Twenty minutes later or so I was up and out, being guided back to the locker room so I could put all my accessories back on.

Tags: , ,
Current Location: Blue Room of Death

5 thoughts or Leave a thought
shelbystripes From: shelbystripes Date: December 19th, 2008 06:58 pm (UTC) (Link)
When I had my MRI done I kept asking if everything was okay or they had to do it again becuase I was sure I was moving around enough to ruin everything. The guy told me it was fine, though, and apparently the images were clear.
enveri From: enveri Date: December 20th, 2008 01:41 am (UTC) (Link)
I was lucky when they did my MRI, it was just my lower body, so I could move and scratch my nose if needed. They piped in Tchaikovsky for me, and uh.. I took a nap. >.> <.< They said I snored. :(
lady_curmudgeon From: lady_curmudgeon Date: December 20th, 2008 01:42 am (UTC) (Link)
I am so glad that my MRI was done in an open machine...(blesses the receptionist who scheduled the appointment for me)
From: schloss_adler Date: December 20th, 2008 02:46 pm (UTC) (Link)
It was in one of those dark "tubes of death" that I discovered (much to my surprise) that I am mildly claustrophobic. I don't really mind smaller, enclosed spaces. I can ride elevators, etc, etc, without issue.

Something about the machine, however, freaked me out. After several attempts, we had to abandon the attempt and re-schedule the MRI in an "open" machine. The nurse told me that guys with broader shoulders (which I have) tend to have issues in that particular machine. Something about both shoulders touching the side of the machine... Whatever it was, after about 45 seconds in there, my "GTFO" sensors went off in a big way and could not be silenced. I truly had no idea that I would react in that way.

Anyway -- the "open" machine was far better. It was still loud, with the normal clicking and clunking, but I was able to turn my head in such a way as to see daylight and the machine didn't press up against my shoulders...

From: colliedoc Date: December 22nd, 2008 05:55 am (UTC) (Link)
Goddamn IT drones!*Flounces off in a huff*See if I ever differential you again...
5 thoughts or Leave a thought