Feren (feren) wrote,

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Tuesday mayhem... and a bit of a con report...

Wow, it's been about four days since I wrote my last entry. I've been a busy, busy boy. I know this shouldn't have kept me from writing in my journal, but I guess I'm just lazy that way.

To give a brief update, I got the server fixed on Friday, at about 9:30 in the morning, give or take a little. Talk about cutting it close to the wire, but I have nobody to blame but myself for being stupid and not spinning a backup the day before when I'd originally thought about it. I could have saved myself a great deal of misery. "Live and learn," I guess that's the motto on this one. Any ways, I got the system fixed and went off to take a quick nap that didn't last very long. I was wired on adrenaline, fear and caffeine, so sleep wasn't something I got very much of that morning. When I got back up I did a few changes and then started packing my stuff into the truck. I had to enlist the help of twanfox and his car to move the equipment -- that's how much I had. Three monitors, two X-terminals, the server, CD-ROM drive (external), hard drive (external), keyboards, mice, hub, power cords, ethernet cables, clothing... you get the general gist. I arrived at the hotel a little later than I wanted, but fortuitously enough I was just behind aureth who had been returning from a parts run at the same time. He recruited some folks for me, namely Jen and Kitfox, which was a great help in getting the equipment down to the showroom. I did some setting up, then excused myself to go retrieve a friend from where he was staying with roho. Once I'd acquired our out-of-state visitor I drove back to the hotel, stopping at Sam's Club on the way to get another power outlet strip and some booze. "Some booze" turned out to be significantly more than "some." One case of Guinness, two cases of Corona, a huge bottle of rum, a huge bottle of Skyy vodka, soda, chips, and a sampler case of Hooper's Hooch.. that is what I walked out of there with. I believe it was Poe who said he wasn't certain it was legal for me to be transporting that much alcohol without an escort or an armed guard. Heh!

Once Poe and I had settled into the hotel room we made our way back down to the art show room and finished setting up the equipment. Joy, everything ran! I was immensely pleased with myself, and just plain happy to see that I'd be able to contribute positively towards this project that my friends had been busting their humps on. After the art show shut down the group of us (consisting of jenwolf, twanfox, roho, aureth, Poe, myself, neowolf2 and Lana) went out for dinner, having eventually settled on Bennigan's as the place for us to dine. We returned in time to head over to the room that 2 the ranting gryphon was set to do his show. That was a real blast, and I was immensely pleased by the reaction he got from the crowd. That room was packed, and you could tell he was nervous, but he picked up after a few minutes and got rolling and did a great, great job. He's going to be a natural and, I think, highly sought after. He's already gotten a bit of a name for himself in the fandom, this will certainly not hurt it any. :) Once he was done (ending on a great rant on a topic I highly approved of) we managed to corral him and get him up to my room, where we did a bit of drinking, a bit of talking and a lot of just hanging about. That was maybe my favorite part of the whole con, making a new friend (or at least meeting him in person) and just getting to hang out with him and the rest of my friends in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere.

Roho, Poe, Jen and myself were sharing that room. We eventually lost Aureth and 2, and decided to call it a night. When we got up on Saturday morning we were a bit later than we perhaps should have been, meaning we got down to the art show room about an hour later than we were supposed to be there. Fortunately for us Aureth was forgiving. While the Cornwuff did his thing, Poe and I tinkered around with the X-terms, talked about our favorite Cartoon Network shows (mainly from Adult Swim), quoted our favorite lines and generally cracked one another up for the whole day. It turned out that one of the Xterms had a faulty DIMM (or the pair is shot, I'm not sure which), thus resulting in us being minus one data entry terminal. Grumble, now I have to find a way to fix that. OH well, I did manage to get Roho's help along with Poe's, and updated the software to a new point release so that it could better handle the purchase of art after the initial pieces had been picked up. That night we sat around the room, played games on Roho's thoughtfully-provided PS2, got drunk, ate pizza and then went to bed.

Sunday morning we got up on time (yay), went down to the room and did the close-the-show thing, including handling the rush after the auction completed, and tearing down the displays and the computer equipment.

If you've guessed by now that I saw NOTHING of the con outside of 2's rant, well, you'd be right. But I'm okay with that. I was there, helping Aureth out, and being staffy in a not-staff sort of way. It was pretty darn cool, and I was definitely in my geek zone. I enjoyed myself a great deal, because I got to see folks I hadn't seen in a very long time (Poe, Neowolf, Findra, Panzier all being great examples) and meet some new folks (2, Dalia, etc) as well.

Poe crashed at my place Sunday night, and Jen gave him a ride down to Midway Monday morning. Monday at work was, well, exactly what I expected it to be, so we won't go there. Suffice to say my desire for this year to be over so I can go visit my parents and escape this state is getting greater with each e-mail I receive there.

I was supposed to be in bed an hour ago but I was tossing and turning from all the coffee I consumed today. Hopefully, now that I've put some effort into writing the "techie con report" I actually will be able to get some sleep. I'll write some more tomorrow, if I can get some free time at work.

I'm gonna buy me a Mercury and cruise it up and down the road

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.