- 196 unread e-mails in my inbox (non-listserv related)
- 439 unread listserv or otherwise automated e-mails
- 6 pads or more of Post-It notes that my coworkers used to prank my cube (Amusing and awesome pictures coming soon)
- 4 voicemails on my work-provided cell phone from our idiot Operations team, all from this morning
- 1 phone call from our idiot Operations team to the house at 0433 this morning, which woke me up
- 1 voicemail on my desk phone at work from our idiot Operations team
- More than 18 new tickets in my individual helpdesk queue
The list goes on like that, but I'll spare the fine details. Suffice to say that the first two stats alone make my brain bend in unusual ways, because I was only out of the office for four business days! This is why I don't take vacations.
Speaking of vacations, 2007 is coming and this will be the first time in at least six years that I don't roll 40 hours of vacation time (or more, back before $EMPLOYER put a cap on it) into the new year's vacation allotment. I remarked on this to my manager and he was somewhat surprised. "Hey," he said. "We finally got you to use most of those 160 hours (four weeks) of vacation you've got! In fact, you're only going to roll over about 24 hours of vacation time this year!" He seemed pretty amazed and happy about this. He wasn't so happy and amazed when I observed that, Yeah, I did use my vacation time this year. And all it took was two deaths in my family, too. He sorta stopped being so jovial about it at that point.
Now I'm going to go call lady_curmudgeon and finalize my plans for Thanksgiving holiday and weekend.
You live your life apart now