In a fit of pique (and stupidity) with a looping process I did a pkill -9 ovw command on our management console, which instructs Solaris to send a SIGKILL to every process that has the string "ovw" contained in its name. Unfortunately I forgot that ovwdb has the string "ovw" contained in it, so I completely destroyed that process along with the process that had hung on me. Once ovwdb went away netmon crapped out, because it cannot run without constant communication with the data warehousing that ovwdb provides.
So not only did I shoot myself in the foot, I shot myself in the foot in a spectacular fashion. My document writing must now be put on hold while I try to recover the processes and get the tables normalized again.